Wine Road Executive Board Meeting
March 8, 2018 9:00am
Wine Road Office – Upstairs
NOTES – Draft Pending Approval
Scott Ormerod, Robin Calkins, Carla Jeffries, John Vislay, Carri Holdredge, Beth Costa
Absent: Aaron Krug, Robert Conrad
9:00 Call to order
Focus of this meeting was to create upcoming retreat agenda.
9:05 Treasurer’s Report
Checking account as of 2/28/18: $187,129.63
Savings account as of 2/28/18: $200,024.06
9:10 Retreat Agenda – Scott Ormerod, Honor Comfort
– Scott Ormerod will be the retreat moderator.
– We decided not to work with Triny Amador. He suggested an ambitious rebranding which is not our current focus.
– Honor Comfort will be our speaker on the first day. Get her impressions of WR and what her top 3 priorities would be for the organization.
– Create cohesiveness of existing board & new board members; may have Safari West activity, and/or Cider Tasting before dinner.
– Focus of the retreat: WR to review its Mission Statement – look at current marketing strategies to determine if they serve the mission statement.
– Create top 3 priorities to help WR focus efforts over the next 1, 3, 5, 10 years.
– Create buckets of top priorities with taglines (i.e., events, education, etc.) and fill buckets with current and future marketing efforts; determine what does and doesn’t fit.
– Get clarity of new vision for both board and existing members. All board members should share the same message re: WR’s brand, focus and future.
– Each executive member to call one member to see what is and isn’t working for them; what’s important to them; how could we serve them better, etc.
- Rancho Mirage: 14 or 15 of our wineries attended; great event overall. 3 WR winemakers offered a seminar on Rhone Varietals, attended by 40 trade and press!
- VinDiego; will repeat the seminar at this event as well.
- Barrel Tasting: ticket sales down by 1200
- Cleveland: 12 of 20 wineries have signed up. Date set for Sunday, 6/24/18.
- Esprit du Rhône
10:20 Public Relations
- On the road – Sacramento had 6-7 press attend the luncheon; SF had 5 press at luncheon, LA is happening at end of month.
- Newsletter, Blog, Podcast – change in style, frequency (review stats) Will review these activities at board retreat.
10:30 Old Business (none reviewed)
10:40 New Business – High School Scholarships
Robin, Carri, and Aaron to review applications and make recommendations to Beth.
Full Board Retreat – April 18 & 19, 2018