Wine Road Directors Board Meeting
June 14, 2018 8:30am
Wine Road Office – Upstairs
DRAFT – PENDING BOARD APPROVAL
8:30 Call to order
Attendees: Carla Jeffries, Jenny Lamarre, Joe Foppoli, Mike Salinas, Carri Holdredge, Stacy Rafanelli, Julia Lander, Thomas Schwarting, Chris Lynch, Devin Ruddick, Beth Costa (absent: John Vislay – traveling)
8:35 Treasurer’s Report
Summer is slowest income period. Assessments begin in August.
8:37 New Board position: Two positions are available. Five good candidates identified. Beth will reach out to them to determine level of interest, then the Board will vote.
8:42 Retreat Recap:
Four Filters established at retreat; creating task forces for the following areas:
- Brand Ambassador
- Barrel Tasting
Review ED Goals for year / revised timeline: Goals need to be established and measurable for both WR and Beth.
- Cleveland: 100 tickets sold; 21 wineries; 3 seminars and Grand Tasting
- Esprit du Rhône: Friday evening event was successful (approx 100 attendees); Saturday was not as successful (150 tickets sold)
- Wine & Food Affair: Motion was made by Devin Ruddick to keep the ticket price the same; seconded by Mike Salinas. $80 weekend; $60 for Sunday only. 80 wineries so far (approx 105 last year).
9:30 Public Relations
- Sonoma House: Very successful PR event. Would consider doing it again next year, but without Sonoma Valley since that area is not part of WR’s territory. Approx cost was $2500 (orig budget $5,000)
- Newsletter, Blog, Podcast – change in style, frequency:
- Blog – once a month
- Podcast – twice a month (not weekly). May ask Vivino to sponsor Podcast.
- May not renew SF Travel – getting too expensive, not enough value @ $2500
- Brand Ambassadors – establishing Task Force.
- Assessment Letter – review: Carla and Mike to rewrite Assessment letter; going out by July 1st.
- Changes to requirements – discussion: Considering changing dues to be based upon production levels vs. flat rate for all members.
10:15 New Business
Task Force Dates:
Barrel Tasting: July 9, Devin, Joe, Carri (8:30am-10:30 @ Christopher Creek)
Membership: July 9, Carla, Mike, Joe (10:30-12:30 @ Christopher Creek)
Website: date tbd Aug., Chris Lynch
Brand Ambassadors: date tbd Aug/Sept, Jenny, Thomas
Considering changing the By-Laws for the following two proposals:
- Expand WR region to include Sonoma Coast wineries – from Bodega Bay up to Annapolis
- Expand WR membership to include non-traditional lodging partners: (e.g., VRBO, AirBnB, RRV Vacation Rentals; Inspirado; Hbg Country Gardens; winery guest houses)
Two emails will be drafted that will include pros and cons of both expansion proposals. Board members will add their individual pros/cons so that a Task Force will already have the background information. If Board chooses to move forward, then a vote will go out to entire membership.
- Also, a group email will be created re: Strategic Direction of Wine Road, focusing on where we want to be as an organization.
- New revenue opportunity: Charge AVA groups (e.g., Olivet Lane) to promote their events via WR mailing list and social media. Consider promoting events for non-members, but at a higher rate, and get access to their members.
10:20 Old Business
Date change to Exec Board meeting.
Executive Board – July 10, 2018, 9am (new date!)
Full Board – RETREAT progress – August 9 plan on 8:30-12:30 Geyserville Inn
Continental Breakfast starting at 8:15, lunch to following meeting at Geyserville Grille