State of the Wine Road – 1st Qtr 2022
Winter Wineland and Barrel Tasting generated revenue to keep the office open, pay staff (now at full hours) and move forward with new marketing initiatives.
Winter Wineland – 54 wineries participated, 877 tickets sold ($77,000)
Barrel Tasting – 44 wineries participated, 616 tickets were sold ($63,000)
Gateway to Wine Road – 33 wineries are participating – ticket sales are still pending, but this new event has not drawn the interest we had anticipated.
• Debbie and Beth are holding down the fort on a full-time basis – Mon-Fri
• Mysty Stewart is again managing our social media and press. At this point in time, we are able to have her work 1/3 of her prior schedule (budgeting constraints).
• Martin Zdybel works 3-4 hours a week on Admin projects – updating our featured members, mailing maps, tracking social posts and helps with outreach for our Insider businesses and ambassadors. So you may start getting emails from Martin@wineroad.com
Marketing / PR
• We created Choose Your Own Adventure, a digital idea book for our homepage.
• We updated our website to include Award Winning Wines – so you can boast!
• We began highlighting different wine types – with links to producers and a map to those wineries. Thus far: Rhone Style, Sparkling and Italians.
• We fine-tuned the details for our Wine Road Insider (consumer club) confirming participating wineries and outside businesses. Here we go!
• Our “Along the Wine Road” blog has been reinstated along with our Varietal of the Month email blast – landing in 50,000+ in boxes.
• The Wine Road Podcast continues to gain listeners (1500-2000 downloads per episode) and we have added a new segment called “Fast Five” with recipes from winery and lodging members.
• Wine Road Ambassadors have begun sharing our stories online and introducing Wine Road to new customers.
• We are currently developing Wine Road sponsored seminars as a perk for Insider members, and open to the public. Schedule: Pinot Neighborhoods – June 2022, Cabernet Tasting – Aug 2022, Zin Blending – Oct 2022, Winemaking 101 – Jan 2023, Esprit du Rhone – April 2023
Wine Road covered the cost for 200 winery staff to take the new Responsible Beverage Server training online, and we provided in-person training for an additional 40 members.
We have scheduled an ADA Compliant seminar-taking place April 10. This informative presentation will show you now to get your website ADA Compliant.
Wine Road now proudly represents 134 wineries and 31 lodgings in Northern Sonoma County.
• New benefits include the by-weekly Featured Members on our homepage.
• The addition of the Award Winning Wines, to showcase your wines.
• Our Wine Road Insider will provide members another opportunity to connect with new guests via special offers and limited time promotions for “Insiders Only”.
We wrapped up our elections on March 25. Welcome to our newest Board Members: XXXX XXXX XXXX
Remaining Board Members:
John Viszlay, Viszlay Vineyards, Owner/Winemaker (President)
Devin Ruddick – Hook & Ladder Winery, Vice President (Vice President)
Lillian Fechter – Francis Ford Coppola Winery, Senior Manager DTC & Hospitality (Secretary)
Aaron Krug – Best Western Dry Creek Inn, Owner (Treasurer)
Dan Christensen – Geyserville Inn, Owner (Exec Lodging Rep)
Oded Shakked – Longboard Vineyard, Owner/Winemaker
Katie Ambrosi – Wilson Artisan Wies – Director of Marketing
Jack Seifrick – CAST Wines, Owner
Harry Wetzel – Alexander Valley Vineyards, Partner /Head of Operations
Helen Sharrocks – Balletto Vineyards, Director of Special Events
Lucas Meeker – The Meeker Vineyards, Winemaker
Brooke Ross – Hotel Trio, Director of Sales & Marketing
A new president will be elected by the Board on April 27th.
- Posted in: Minutes
- Tagged in: